• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmjimenez6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I understand that many employees are "at will" employees and therefore my situation may in fact be legal, but I want to make sure. My current place of employment recently had an open opportunity for someone to move to a virtual (work from home) position. My name was thrown in the bucket from a co-worker who highly recommended me. Weeks went by and no one heard any updates, I asked my supervisor repeatedly what the decision was she each time she said she did not know what corporate was planning. On Tuesday May 12th I was laid off from my position because corporate chose to lay-off anyone who was being chosen for the virtual position. I was never once informed that I was chosen for this position or even given any hints. As far as I knew I did not have the position. Is it legal that they can lay me off from a job that I didn't even know I had?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes. It is legal for them to lay you off for any reason not specifically prohibited by law. There isn't any law prohibiting them from laying you off because of poor internal communication.

That said, I agree that you got a bum deal. File for unemployment asap.

commentator

They might have thought they were doing you a favor. They needed to lay off somebody, cut back on payroll, hire the bosses nephew, trim down the organization, whatever reason. They took volunteers to work at home, and then laid them off, supposing these would be the people who wanted to be home the most. Or they could've laid you off for some other, totally unrelated reason. Like you looked like their Aunt Mildred whom they couldn't stand. Or you wore green socks to work a lot. In other words, you got laid off, that's all you have. And it will probably get you approved for unemployment benefits while looking for another job. But don't put too much credence in that "they laid off the one they were going to put in the work at home position." You don't know for sure you got the job, you only know you were laid off, and that you'd put in your application for the work at home position. You don't know why you were laid off, really, and neither do the people you talked to at your former employer. And really, it doesn't much matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">