• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was told I had been hired, but company did not follow through

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whiggs

What is the name of your state?
Georgia

Two weeks ago, I interviewed for, and was extended an offer for, a job as an automation engineer at a particular company. The position would have been remote. For the last two weeks, all the while I was being assured that I had gotten the job, I was waiting for this company to send me the onboarding paperwork so that I could get it filled out in time to have everything ready by my MAy 11 start date. I was also not searching for work or interviewing during this time since I was continuing to get assurances that I had gotten the job. Then, yesterday, I filled out a two page assessment (check boxes of adjectives that "describe" me), and right at the end of the business day, I was told that they were rescinding the offer because of the results of the assessment. This happened before I was even sent the paperwork for the background check or anything. From what I was told, the CIO, who, ironically, had signed off on the budget request which included my salary weeks ago, decided, against the objections of the two managers I had interviewed with to get the job in the first place, that, based on the results of the "assessment" (if it can be called that), to rescind the offer because of a perceived incompatibility with this company's culture. Normally, I would just accept that and move on, if I had not been assured for the last two weeks that I had gotten the job and, therefore, not interviewed for other positions. The fact that they essentially wasted the last two weeks of my life I find unacceptable, unprofessional, and, quite frankly, criminal. Can I take this company to court to recover damages that resulted from their unprofessional, cruel behavior?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can I take this company to court to recover damages that resulted from their unprofessional, cruel behavior?
Absolutely! This is AMERICA - you can sue anybody for anything! (Generally.)

Now, let's move on to the REAL question, which is: Can you successfully sue the company over this matter?

I don't see any chance of you winning this case. Feel free to speak with local attorneys about this matter. There is nothing else this forum can help you with.

Good day.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state?
Georgia
The fact that they essentially wasted the last two weeks of my life I find unacceptable, unprofessional, and, quite frankly, criminal. Can I take this company to court to recover damages that resulted from their unprofessional, cruel behavior?
What you experienced is simply called life. It certainly wasn't criminal, nor IMO was it "cruel". As far as being unprofessional goes, I would say if the company management realized this early that you'd not be a good fit then it's better for everyone — including you — that they simply cut ties now rather than later after a period of conflict or other problems.

As far as the law goes, a company may rescind its job offer any time before you start or fire you at any time after, too, and may do so for almost any reason, apart from a few reasons like illegal discrimination (e.g. because of your race, color, religion, sex, age (if at least age 40), disability, etc). Certainly no federal or state law prohibits an employer from terminating you because you are thought not to be a good culture fit with the company unless that amounts to discrimination based on something like race or religion. So nothing you have said in your post suggests any good grounds to sue the company.

Knowing that any time in the hiring process the offer may be rescinded you should act accordingly and still keep feelers out for other job offers, etc.

Last edited:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Based on the rudeness you've displayed here, along with your propensity to eschew ANY responsibility whatsoever for your own behavior, it sounds like the assessment did its job to weed out undesirables. They dodged a bullet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">