• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Washington, DC 30 day removal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the correct process of removing someone from your home the legal way? Months ago I allowed someone to stay in my home with me until they got back on their feet and now they will not leave my home. Our rent is $1160 and we told the person to give us what they can since we were trying to help them out. Monthly they would give $180. However my roommate and I are the only lease holder and not our friend who we were only helping out temporarily. We have tried typing a 30 day notice to only having the person ball it up and state they NEVER received anything and that's what they will say to any court.

How do we remove this person legally. Can I go down to the courts with a letter and have the courts stamp it or something? what are our rights?


Since you've elected to become this person's landlord (he is not on the primary lease with you), you'll want to Google your state's landlord/tenant act or law to educate yourself about the obligations you took on when you made that decision. Then you'll have to re-serve the 30-day notice to terminate in accordance with your state law, followed by an action for eviction in accordance with your state law.


Senior Member
okay so to send notice in a way he cannot ignore, first go get a post office box for your self and have all your mail sent there but not his , just yours then send to him via certified mail a new notice telling him to he has to move out. Then post office will send out cards if he is not home telling him to pick up his mail, of course he can refuse to go get that letter but the deal is then the post office will return it to you and returning it to your post office box will be secure and he will not have the chance to tear it up . SO then you will have to go to the courts and file for a eviction based on a tenant being given proper notice to move out and tenant refusing to do so. You will have to bring to the court the un opened still sealed original letter you sent that post office returned to your box and the court can deliver to him his mail . In the time being if one other person witnessed his getting and tearing up his first on paper notice then have them come with you to court. ( or go see a atty who practices in DC that specializes in evictions and hire her/him to handle it for you)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential