• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water Damage Caused By Washer Overflowing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahoov123

I recently had a mini flood that occurred when my washer overflowed. Luckily the damage wasn't too severe but it did cause the faux wood flooring to bulge in some areas. I am assuming that since it is my washer and I was the one who turned it on I would be liable for replacing the flooring if they choose to do so, correct?

I also, unfortunately, do not have renters insurance, dumb I know.

quincy

I recently had a mini flood that occurred when my washer overflowed. Luckily the damage wasn't too severe but it did cause the faux wood flooring to bulge in some areas. I am assuming that since it is my washer and I was the one who turned it on I would be liable for replacing the flooring if they choose to do so, correct?

Who installed the washer?

Just Blue

What state?

adjusterjack

I am assuming that since it is my washer and I was the one who turned it on I would be liable for replacing the flooring if they choose to do so, correct?
It's likely that your lease contractually obligates you to pay for any damage that occurs during and as a result of your tenancy. Read your lease and see if that's the case.

Come back and report, and reveal your state.

quincy

The appliance company that we bought it from.
If the appliance company installed the washer improperly, and this improper installation caused the flooding, the appliance company should be held responsible for repairs to the floor.

If you did not follow manufacturer instructions on use of the washer and this failure resulted in the flooding, you are responsible for floor repair.

It would also be helpful to know if you might of put too much soap of any kind, maybe overloading with clothes.

quincy

It would also be helpful to know if you might of put too much soap of any kind, maybe overloading with clothes.
If ahoov did not use the washer properly and this improper use caused the washer to overflow, the cost of repairing the floor should fall on ahoov.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">