• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water damage claim denial in Georgia USAA policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

airforcemom

My son had water damage in living area and kitchen due to busted pipe under slab in kitchen resulting in flooring and cabinet damage by water. USAA homeowners insurance denied coverage due to "wear and tear" of plumbling. Shouldn't the flooring and cabinets still be covered because of water damage? He is active duty Air Force and this doesn't seem right.

adjusterjack

Shouldn't the flooring and cabinets still be covered because of water damage?
A busted pipe is sudden and the resulting damage should be covered by the policy.

The on-going damage caused by a long term leak due to the pipe's deterioration is not covered.

Have your son come here and describe what happened, how the leak and damage was discovered, what pipe was it, what the pipe looked like when he had the floor opened up to fix it.

He is active duty Air Force and this doesn't seem right.
That has nothing to do with anything. It's what the policy says that counts.

FlyingRon

And I can tell you that if USAA didn't cover it, it's highly likely that there's nothing to do about. They're top notch. I've had more than a few claims with them over the 44 years I've been insured with them. Never had an issue. When I had a pipe burst, the remediation company was calling my cell while my wife was still on the phone with USAA on the initial claim report.

As pointed out, a slow leak is maintenance and that's not covered even if it does damage. Now on the other hand, if it was a burst and it took a period of time to detect because of the location, he might have a chance. You can always appeal to the carrier with more details if that seems to be the case.

Gonavybeatarmy

This should be covered. The damage was sudden and accidental. Given that the pipe was under the floor there was no way for him to know that it was wearing out and needed to be replaced. I would speak to a supervisor and tell them you are going to report them for "bad faith"...

PayrollHRGuy

This should be covered. The damage was sudden and accidental. Given that the pipe was under the floor there was no way for him to know that it was wearing out and needed to be replaced. I would speak to a supervisor and tell them you are going to report them for "bad faith"...
This post is about a month and a half old and the OP hasn't been back since the day it was posted.

LdiJ

Wow, you must be really important around here... The Free Advice deputy forum police... You sure know how to make a new member feel welcome trying to give helpful advice.
The issue is that this is a very active forum, so responding to something that is 6 weeks old is really posting to something that is very stale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">