• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water damage claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmeehanjr

Hi,
We had wood floor damage from an accidental separation of the dryer drain hose, from the washer/dryer box in wall. Our claim was intitially denied, due to possibly bad installation. Our policy reads that covered peril is 'accidental discharge or overflow' of water. The drain hose may have been within the box area, but not fully down the drain - and i believe the box overflowed, leaking water outside of drain, and to floor area.
Any tips on how best to at least approach an appeal in NY state on this?
thanks!
d.

justalayman

Did you mean the washer drain hose? The closest thing on a dryer to a drain hose ports hot air to the outside.

You aren’t very clear on the situation. Either the hose came out or the drain or it didn’t. Is it secured in there with nylon zip ties or anything else?

Has this drain ever overflowed before? What makes you believe it may have this time?

Given the situation I don’t see how you can convince the insurance company they should cover this as it doesn’t appear you can convince yourself how it happened.

dmeehanjr

yep - condenser dryer, no vent, only drain hose. It accidentally got pushed out of drain in washer dryer box (maybe housekeeper getting stuff from closet), and caused the floor damage before we noticed the hose was not fully in drain hole.

dmeehanjr

my insurance just sent me this...

In review of your claim, inspection confirmed that the engineered wood flooring in front of the laundry closet has warped and buckled. There was no evidence of the warping having been caused by water. There are no stains and no signs of leaking or any other cause of damage that your insurance would provide coverage for in the area.

justalayman

yep - condenser dryer, no vent, only drain hose. It accidentally got pushed out of drain in washer dryer box (maybe housekeeper getting stuff from closet), and caused the floor damage before we noticed the hose was not fully in drain hole.
It appears your insurance provider is denying it regardless of the drain issue

But if the hose was pushed out or the drain pipe, it’s a pretty good proof of either improper installation or a failed installation. The first one makes it not covered. The second one; depends on what failed and why.

dmeehanjr

yes, they did send someone, an indie adjuster. It seems to have leaked within the walls, and damaged the floor and some mold directly in front of washer/dryer stack. so no stains or visible signs along outside the walls. Also looks to have flowed to unit under ours, and he has some floor damage and mold as well.

PayrollHRGuy

I think you are going to need to go to the link I posted earlier. I think you are going to need to get another look by the adjuster.

We have another senior member that is a former insurance adjuster. I'll shoot him a message and get him to look at this thread.

adjusterjack

In review of your claim, inspection confirmed that the engineered wood flooring in front of the laundry closet has warped and buckled. There was no evidence of the warping having been caused by water. There are no stains and no signs of leaking or any other cause of damage that your insurance would provide coverage for in the area.
There's a big difference between that and the "bad installation" you referred to in your original post.

Who, exactly, at your "insurance" sent you that? No names, just position and title. And how was it sent? Email, company letterhead, something else.

It would also help to know how you discovered this damage.

Gonavybeatarmy

It sounds like your damage was caused by a slow leak that was not discovered for a long time (the presence of mold and warping would indicate this has been going on for awhile). Is this correct? In this case, your insurance company may be trying to deny your claim on the grounds that your damage is not the result of a "sudden and accidental" incident and that you were negligent in not identifying the issue sooner and taking action to remedy it.
(Website links removed)

Gonavybeatarmy

Your post has been reported because at least one of your links is for a commercial service.
Every website on the internet is for a commercial service of one type or another...

Which one of the links bothers you? Everyone of them is from a website trying to sell a service or make money in one way or the other. Just like this website.

quincy

Every website on the internet is for a commercial service of one type or another...

Which one of the links bothers you? Everyone of them is from a website trying to sell a service or make money in one way or the other. Just like this website.
You can provide links to government sites (.gov) and education sites (.edu) and to many organization sites (.org).

Commercial sites are selling something. Those are not permitted on this forum (with very few exceptions).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">