• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water damage - who is responsible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OPRockwell

What is the name of your state? UTAH

I live in a large condominium building governed by an HOA. The HOA has hired a management company.

In March we noticed water leaking through our ceiling (we live on the 3rd floor of a 4 floor building). The next day the on-site manager (employee of the managment company) inspected it and said it was probably the roof leaking through. We did nothing for four days, waiting for the water to stop leaking through. On the fourth we notice an increase in water leaking and had the manager come again this time he hired someone to come and tear the ceiling down and investigate. It turns out a pipe in between condo's above my neighbors condo leaked and spurted water onto our ceiling causing the damage. The HOA has promised to pay for this damage.

- my problem is - it is now June and the management company still hasn't taken action. I've talked to the onsite manager several times and called the management company. I've spoken to the president of the HOA. My ceiling is still damaged. I didn't expect them to have the ceiling fixed within the month after it was damaged, but now it's been almost three months. My home is still livable, we have black plastic covering the hole in the ceiling.

What do I do here? I already left another nasty phone message for the management company.

Can I hire my own contractor and then deduct the cost of fixing the problem from my HOA dues? I know that you can sometimes do that when you are renting.

Should I mail them a letter expressing my concern and telling them I plan to file a complaint with the BBB or some state agency if they don't act promptly?

Your comments -

HomeGuru

OPRockwell said:
What is the name of your state? UTAH

I live in a large condominium building governed by an HOA. The HOA has hired a management company.

In March we noticed water leaking through our ceiling (we live on the 3rd floor of a 4 floor building). The next day the on-site manager (employee of the managment company) inspected it and said it was probably the roof leaking through. We did nothing for four days, waiting for the water to stop leaking through. On the fourth we notice an increase in water leaking and had the manager come again this time he hired someone to come and tear the ceiling down and investigate. It turns out a pipe in between condo's above my neighbors condo leaked and spurted water onto our ceiling causing the damage. The HOA has promised to pay for this damage.

- my problem is - it is now June and the management company still hasn't taken action. I've talked to the onsite manager several times and called the management company. I've spoken to the president of the HOA. My ceiling is still damaged. I didn't expect them to have the ceiling fixed within the month after it was damaged, but now it's been almost three months. My home is still livable, we have black plastic covering the hole in the ceiling.

What do I do here? I already left another nasty phone message for the management company.

Can I hire my own contractor and then deduct the cost of fixing the problem from my HOA dues? I know that you can sometimes do that when you are renting.

Should I mail them a letter expressing my concern and telling them I plan to file a complaint with the BBB or some state agency if they don't act promptly?

Your comments -
**A: hire a real estate atttorney to send a demand letter to the HOA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">