• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

water damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

porpor

What is the name of your state? Ontario, Canada

I am the owner of a condo and is rented to a very nice family. Couple of weeks ago the dishwasher leaked and caused some water damage to the kitchen in the unit below. Condo maintenance people had to make two trips to find out where the leak came from. As soon as they figure it was from the dishwasher, water was shut off and aplliance man came to look at the problem. Cause of the leak was a worn motor seal, leak is hidden underneath. A new dishwasher was immediately replaced. The owner of the unit below said I am responsible and if I don't pay for the $500 repairs he will take me to small claims court. My insurance broker said I am not responsible for the water damage as it was not due to negligence of my tennant or myself. The leak has never happen before and the dishwasher was about 4 years old. Is my neighbour downstairs trying to make me pay for his deductable?? Is there a difference between the law and insurance policy rules?? My broker also said if I pay him I would be admitting responsibility and set a precedent. Is this true?
Any reply will be deeply appreciated. Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">