• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water filter flood damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nj336

I am renting an apartment in the state of California. This morning I awoke to the sound of pouring water. I found that the water filter system that I had installed under my kitchen sink had burst and had flooded half the apartment. I am in an upstairs apartment and the water found it's way down through the floor to the apartment downstairs. As far as I know none of the tenants belongings were damaged. But there was extensive damage to the drywall downstairs and the carpeting had to be pulled up to dry out all the water.

I do not have renters insurance (I'll be getting it now, but... :eek: ). My question is am I liable for the water damage to the building? Or any of the clean-up or repair costs?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nj336 said:
I am renting an apartment in the state of California. This morning I awoke to the sound of pouring water. I found that the water filter system that I had installed under my kitchen sink had burst and had flooded half the apartment. I am in an upstairs apartment and the water found it's way down through the floor to the apartment downstairs. As far as I know none of the tenants belongings were damaged. But there was extensive damage to the drywall downstairs and the carpeting had to be pulled up to dry out all the water.

I do not have renters insurance (I'll be getting it now, but... :eek: ). My question is am I liable for the water damage to the building? Or any of the clean-up or repair costs?

My response:

Is there really any question that you wouldn't be responsible for the damages?

IAAL

Even if you would have had insurance, it probably wouldn't have paid for it.

That is why it would be best to have a professional install things such as this. That way, if something happens, it is on their heads.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">