• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Water heater not to code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am writing in behalf of my sister who is moving into a rental home in Missouri. We moved her things in last week.

A few questions:

First: When the gas company came to turn on the gas and light the water heater, the man “red tagged” the heater and would not light it. He said it was not to code. The water heater is located in one of the bedroom closets – the one my sister will use. The landlord told her to move into the other room and had a friend come light the heater.

Q: What legal action can be taken to make sure the heater is to code?

Second: Over the couple of days it took us to move my sister’s things into the house, the landlord came in (she lives next door) while no one was home. We know this because she made comments about the furniture and location of unpacked boxes.

Q: Is it legal for the landlord to enter the rental property w/o notice?

Third: Empty boxes were left outside and next to the rental house. On the second day of unpacking, I went out to flatten the boxes and saw several roaches run from the boxes. I made a remark to the landlord when she came out. She commented that they are a problem.

Q: Even though there are “ant traps” in the cupboards, is the landlord responsible for a more aggressive action to eliminate unwanted insects from a rental property?

*****From what I can find on the internet, the landlord is responsible for a safe and clean rental property. I want to know what steps one should take to resolve the above problems.


Senior Member
Call the code inspector back in for the heater and the bugs .

Goggle your States landlord tenant laws about notice of entry .

Some States have no Statutes , while others require reasonable notice ( 24 hrs is reasonable ) .

Write your landlord a Letter of all the problems , request repair/ or attention to each issue .

Send it certified mail .
Keep a copy and the receipt that is was delivered . If returned do not open it . Keep it for future proceedings .

Get a copy of the code inspectors reports .

Give the LL reasonable time to repair / remedy , then consult a LL/tenant Attorney .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential