• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ways to handle a crook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

darude

what's the best way to deal with a creditor that won't back down and take a settlement off to close out the account and be done with it:confused:? this creditor has also threatened me with putting me in a cruiser and hauling me to the courthouse and putting me in front of the judge. as well as threaten to sue me before they actualy sued me because they still haven't sued me. I belive I also have them in some violations

quincy

what's the best way to deal with a creditor that won't back down and take a settlement off to close out the account and be done with it:confused:? this creditor has also threatened me with putting me in a cruiser and hauling me to the courthouse and putting me in front of the judge. as well as threaten to sue me before they actualy sued me because they still haven't sued me. I belive I also have them in some violations
What is the name of your state, darude?

Here are two links, one from the FTC on the FDCPA, and one from Nolo on "What Can You Do If a Debt Collector Violates the FDCPA?:"

the FTC: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

Nolo: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/what-can-you-do-if-debt-collector-violates-the-fdcpa.html

These should answer your questions.

ShyCat

Note that the FDCPA applies to third-party debt collectors. Original creditors are not subject to the FDCPA.

FlyingRon

The creditor is not obliged to take anything other than full payment on the debt. The real crook is the person who doesn't pay his debts.

You need to tell us your state. Depending on the state, there may or may not be a violation of law here. As pointed out, the federal rules only apply to third party collections.

davew128

Personally I would handle a creditor like that in the same manner I handle anyone else like that. If they get off the phone and they're in tears, I did my job.

darude

The creditor is not obliged to take anything other than full payment on the debt. The real crook is the person who doesn't pay his debts.

You need to tell us your state. Depending on the state, there may or may not be a violation of law here. As pointed out, the federal rules only apply to third party collections.
i'm in califorina and I am trying to pay my debt's nor have I charged anything in over a year. it's not like i'm buying a 50 inch screen t.v. and running I say say the person doing that is a thief!! right now the economy sucks!!

Last edited:

justalayman

So, is this the actual creditor trying to collect on their debt or is it a collection agency?

If you want answers you have to give up some information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">