• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We lost, do we have to pay attorneys fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stoli

What is the name of your state? Nevada

We filed a lawsuit against our Insurance Co. and after 6 years of postponements finally made it to court. However, our small town attorney was no match against the big time law firm the Insurance Co. hired and we lost. Now they are filing a judgement for attorneys costs and fees. After all this time and all their experts I am sure it will be for more than a small fortune. Our attorney said not to worry that there are many options. What does that mean? Are we going to lose everything we own? Can they attach all of our assetts? They were found to have violated Nevada's Insurance Laws so it was not a frivilous law suit. Please help.

stephenk

the options available are slim. your attorney can try and negotiate the amount of the fees and costs. he can also try and convince them to waive the fees and costs in exchange for you not filing an appeal of the trial verdict.

good luck.

Stoli said:
What is the name of your state? Nevada

We filed a lawsuit against our Insurance Co. and after 6 years of postponements finally made it to court. However, our small town attorney was no match against the big time law firm the Insurance Co. hired and we lost. Now they are filing a judgement for attorneys costs and fees. After all this time and all their experts I am sure it will be for more than a small fortune. Our attorney said not to worry that there are many options. What does that mean? Are we going to lose everything we own? Can they attach all of our assetts? They were found to have violated Nevada's Insurance Laws so it was not a frivilous law suit. Please help.
I assume there was a contractual provision allowing them to recover attorney's fees. Otherwise they probably wouldn't have grounds to recover the fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">