• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We need help after 6 months of trying for it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reggi

What is the name of your state? New York
the hardest part is where do i begin? we have told this to so many people, departments and attorneys and we can't seem to find the right guide. i am really asking for help and/or suggestions. ok, i guess from the beginning. my boyfriend works for the navy base here under contract (the military is so full of the contractors and subcontractors). he worked for one part of the navy in the rec area for about 2 years. toward the end, he decided that he wanted to take on a part time position, so the housing and maintenance department needed someone to clean on tuesday and thursday evenings. everything was going well. his day job from the other contractor offered direct deposit, so he was getting paid regularly. the other contractor, did not offer direct deposit so they got their checks every two weeks. toward the end of 2002 my boyfriends part time job (the tue.thurs one), the contractor needed someone to plow. my boyfriend bid on it. he got it, 400.00 a month for the season. things were going very well at that point. around november 2002, he gets a notice from his bank that the payroll check that was deposited did not clear. it took about a month for them to reimburse. all that was said was that it was a misunderstanding between the department of the navy and this particular contractor.

he received his monthly check from the contractor for the plowing, and then suddenly they stopped. the manager of the housing unit said that this contractor had filed bankruptcy. the dept of labor sent paperwork and by april my boyfriend was paid the full amount. here where it gets sticky.

the manager of the housing and maintenance dept needed another full time person. he asked my boyfriend to switch over there. my boyfriend was getting bored in the rec area and his boss was well, never mind...he was going to be paid 20/hr. whch he was. his first paycheck of around 1200.00 was on may 31 2003. he puts it in the bank, on june 11 2003, just 2 days before the next check, my boyfriend, as well as everyone else in the unit, got notification from their bank that the payroll check (s) were no good. did not do my boyfriend any good. the payroll check bounced and so did every thing else in his account bringing his account to about 700.00 in arrears. by the end of june, the shop had to close, they could not get ahold of the contractor, who just took off with the money. his boss tried to get ahold of him, the naval office out in western part of new york, nothing. my boyfriend was relying on his boss to find out the issues and he did not want to press (I know his fault in that area). now everything was relying on me which i was of no use to him, my ex was after me, (see my posts in child custody, support and visitation)....needless to say, I ended up having a nervous breakdown and now am out on disability.

my boyfriend filed for unemployment, which took at least 4 weeks to come through. i found out what the delay was, he was missing a piece of paper that the unemp office needed. he would have waited forever if i had not found that out. he had been in contact with the dol on the back pay which is about 4 grand. the gentleman in the dol said that they were trying to get ahold of this contractor but could not find him...duh! there was a big pow wow with the commander of the unit and the ones in virginia and they went to central new york to talk with the girl in that particular office on a surprise visit. no one knows the outcome of this visit. in september, after 3 months of being out of work, his manager called him and said that they had a temporary contractor until at least the end of october of this year. he asked my boyfriend to come back. the pay was now at 10/hr on a sliding scale for whatever work was done in the work week. at least he was back to work. in the middle part of october, the old contractor shows up out of the blue to come and get his equipment. my boyfriends boss made sure that everyone was in the inner office while he was there which was under heavy military security... i wonder why? my boyfriend got word the week before this, that the old contractor signed all of the official paperwork and it was now with the dol. dol won't release the paperwork until the navy releases the money? what do we do now. we tried every attorney in our area and because there were only a few people involved no one wanted to get involved with this. once again, i apologize for this post, but that was the only way i could get it across. we were told we could file in small claims, but we can't find him, nor could the sheriff in that county find him. the sheriff department in the county up here where the naval base is located, won't even touch the matter. i have all this information, all of my boyfriends late fees, check fees, etc. please, anyone help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">