• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We never voted on a union!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abw980

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My husband has been working for a company for almost a year now. There was talk of a union, but no one ever voted on having one. The next thing we know is that we are getting a contract in the mail and we either have to agree on it, or strike. If we never even voted on having a union, isn't this a little illegal?

Beth3

Not necessarily. If the union notified the company using all the necesary verbiage informing the employer that they now represent their employees, and the employer didn't handle such notification appropriately, then it's entirely possible for the union to have slipped in without a vote ever being taken. Whether that happened in this instance or whether the union is trying to pull a fast one on the employees and get in without a vote, I can't say.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My husband has been working for a company for almost a year now. There was talk of a union, but no one ever voted on having one. The next thing we know is that we are getting a contract in the mail and we either have to agree on it, or strike. If we never even voted on having a union, isn't this a little illegal?
**A: have him contact the National Labor Relations Board.

781Steward

Not illegal

As long as you have a vote 50% + 1 then a union can step in. They may of reached that reserved number before getting to your husband.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">