• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We want to get married**************..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? CO
My boyfriend (of more than 1 year) filed for his papers in 2001 having his brother sponser him. He got his acceptance letter from the Dept of Homeland Security acknowledging that he is in the US and it said that his paperwork was sent to the National Visa Center for processing. Currently the NVC is processing papers from AUG 2003 (last time I checked...last month). We have decided that we want to get married, but we don't know what papers we need to file or how a marriage will affect his current application that is in progress. Can anyone advise me on what steps we need to take?:confused:


Senior Member
The current paperwork filed by the brother will not have any effect on the marriage and subsequent filings or vice versa. If you are a US citizen and your boyfriend is currently in the US and had entered the country legally, then you can get married and file for his permanent residence within the US. If he is currently abroad, and you have met the requirements for the fiance visa petition, you can either file a fiance visa petition on his behalf or if you choose to get married outside the US, you can then petition him for a spouse visa or an immediate relative petition.

Immigration Attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential