• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We want to switch trust Attorneys.....he might be stalling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Victor Newman

We are in Oregon. We have had same attorney for 5+ years and would like to switch to another local trust attorney....who would like the best copy so he can start from scratch for his review, recommendations and update.

Our copy is not 100% complete as best as I can tell. Two emails and two voicemails to our attorney, asking that I be given his copy....has not been fruitful.

Are there any rules about a trust attorney holding on to our trust for some reason ?

Maybe this is a big nothing, but 10 days of asking and seeing no results is getting old. Wanted to get some background before I show up at his office and demand our trust be given to me.

Many thanks

LdiJ

We are in Oregon. We have had same attorney for 5+ years and would like to switch to another local trust attorney....who would like the best copy so he can start from scratch for his review, recommendations and update.

Our copy is not 100% complete as best as I can tell. Two emails and two voicemails to our attorney, asking that I be given his copy....has not been fruitful.

Are there any rules about a trust attorney holding on to our trust for some reason ?

Maybe this is a big nothing, but 10 days of asking and seeing no results is getting old. Wanted to get some background before I show up at his office and demand our trust be given to me.

Many thanks
Is the attorney also the trustee?

doucar

Who is/are the trustee(s) since they would be the only one who could hire and fire the trust attorney?

adjusterjack

Is the person, or are the persons, who created the trust (the trustors) still alive? If they are, would that happen to be the "we" referred to in your post?

If yes to both questions then you can have the new attorney create a new trust for you based on current conditions and desires, revoke the old trust, and you can fire the old attorney without hassling over copies.

Last edited:

Victor Newman

Thanks for the replies. Yes, we created the trust years ago and had it revised in 2006 when we moved from CA to OR. We are the trustors. I will call the current trust attorney Monday to see what's what.

zddoodah

Standard practice is for the new attorney to contact the former attorney to obtain the client's files/documents.

Victor Newman

Got an email Friday from existing att'ny secretary.....saying trust papers have been mailed to our new, att'ny. Thanks for the posts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">