• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website Content Theft - please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s98jj

What is the name of your state? UK

I have run a website for four years on a mystery. I have a forum where people can discuss/debate theories. It can to my attention that an old forum member has copied the entire contents of my forum and posted the comments on his own website without the forum members' permission. As a result of this, members on my forum have been discussing this man online in a negative manner and making comments about his purloining techniques.

He contacted me this week stating that I am liable for the comments written on my forum and he has issued me with legal proceedings (which have yet to arrive in the mail). I have since removed the comments. He also states that I am running an illegal website, due to the fact I have material on there that is not my own. However, I have permission for all photographs, newspaper articles etc. and nothing has been taken from another website without permission.

I am convinced he would like to shut down my website and gain my traffic. He has done this to other websites in the past.

My website is strictly non profit and I run it as a hobby.

I want to know whether he can take me to court over the comments of others and if I would have a case for him copying material from my website?

Many thanks.

BelizeBreeze

s98jj said:
What is the name of your state? UK

I have run a website for four years on a mystery. I have a forum where people can discuss/debate theories. It can to my attention that an old forum member has copied the entire contents of my forum and posted the comments on his own website without the forum members' permission. As a result of this, members on my forum have been discussing this man online in a negative manner and making comments about his purloining techniques.

He contacted me this week stating that I am liable for the comments written on my forum and he has issued me with legal proceedings (which have yet to arrive in the mail). I have since removed the comments. He also states that I am running an illegal website, due to the fact I have material on there that is not my own. However, I have permission for all photographs, newspaper articles etc. and nothing has been taken from another website without permission.

I am convinced he would like to shut down my website and gain my traffic. He has done this to other websites in the past.

My website is strictly non profit and I run it as a hobby.

I want to know whether he can take me to court over the comments of others and if I would have a case for him copying material from my website?

Many thanks.
U.S. Law ONLY!

C

Caljamscott

Surely there must be a forum in the UK like this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">