• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Website Legalities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xDazedx

What is the name of your state? TX

Hey guys I have a question for you. I run a website and as any website goes, you get some disgruntle people and all hell breaks loose. Anyway they created a similar site which I am perfectly fine with. However what I am wondering about is this. I know i have seen this before but am trying to figure out how to proceed.

They are using two website names. One is the longer version of my url which redirects to their page. I wanted a shorter url so I used the initial of the first word. So as an example for those following along...

Let's say I have iMac.com and they are using internetmac.com. My site references the the full name all over the place. Kind of tacky huh?

Thanks for your help!

code321

his question is how should he proceed, key on the proceed if i knew how to spell it lol. He wants to know what he should do cause he believes there could be an issue with it. Im not saying this, i dont have an answer but example of an answer for those who don't know what his question it, exp. Get a new domain address or talk to the other person about it.

I have not been impressed with this forum iv had a question up for a day now no ones answered wtf? do we not have answers out there? seems like the only thing going on here is people asking question, no one knows the answer. I lost an estimated of 500 viewers due to this yesterday because my question was not answered fast enough, and still hasn't been.

divgradcurl

It's still not clear what you are asking. Are you asking if the owner of the shorter URL can somehow stop the owner of the longer URL from using the longer URL? If that is the question, based on what you have written, no, the owner or the shorter URL cannot stop the owner of the longer URL.

Now, if the owner of the shorter URL can somehow claim that he or she has acquired trademark rights to the URL itself, he or she may be able to file a UDRP complaint: http://www.icann.org/udrp/udrp.htm. But that's not going to do anything in the short term.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">