• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weight Descrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cudear1

I work for a popular weight management co part time in NC. You sign a statement that states you will maintain your weight within 4lbs. and weigh in each month. The question is that when I went over my weight they (1)reduced my pay(not stated in the contract) and put me on probation for 3 months. In that time I went back to my "goal" weight and now received a letter stating that they would review it for (2)30 more days before returning me back to my previous pay scale, ultimately I was punished for 4 mos not 3 as previously stated in writing, for going over my weight. Was there not a case similar to this for stewards/stewardesses relating to weight?

E

ed

Although weight is not one of the federally protected categories, some states do protect it. However, generally where there is a valid occupational qualification involved there is no protection. For example, only men may qualify for male roles in a movie, and only men/boys of a certain age for the role of a teenage boy. It is acceptable for a kosher deli to require its butchers to be Jewish. Given these holdings, you may not have much of a claim, even in a state that protects against weight discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">