• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Weird question about school pictures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terp

What is the name of your state? MD

Son's stepmother informed me that her brother works for the company son's public school has hired to do their portraits and yearbooks. She informed me with a smirk that since "I didn't order her a yearbook, her brother was going to get her one, along with son's school picture."

Now I could care less about whether or not she has a yearbook. Personally I did not order one for myself, I ordered one for son! But I am a little bothered because I feel there was a breach of privacy. She should not have her brother take advantage of his employment with the photo company to freely distribute son's picture, etc.....

Is this legal or am I feeling like something crawled under my skin for nothing?What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Son's stepmother informed me that her brother works for the company son's public school has hired to do their portraits and yearbooks. She informed me with a smirk that since "I didn't order her a yearbook, her brother was going to get her one, along with son's school picture."

Now I could care less about whether or not she has a yearbook. Personally I did not order one for myself, I ordered one for son! But I am a little bothered because I feel there was a breach of privacy. She should not have her brother take advantage of his employment with the photo company to freely distribute son's picture, etc.....

Is this legal or am I feeling like something crawled under my skin for nothing?What is the name of your state?
Hundreds of strangers get your kids yearbook. Let it go.

jbowman

She informed me with a smirk that since "I didn't order her a yearbook, her brother was going to get her one, along with son's school picture."
I sure hope you responded (with the same stupid smirk) "Why in the H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS would I ever order a yearbook for you?"

Jeese Louise.

terp

I just shrugged my shoulders and said....whatteva! :cool:

driving away is when it started bugging me. I just don't feel that it is right for an employee to distribute minors photos. I am just wondering the legality of it.

Zigner

driving away is when it started bugging me. I just don't feel that it is right for an employee to distribute minors photos. I am just wondering the legality of it.
Let it go - have a sip of tea and be glad you were "driving away" and not "driving to" her house! :)

majomom1

I get it. Technically Dad could have called the school, or photo company and ordered his own anyway, so it should not have been a big deal. I doubt that there is anything illegal - but you could sure call the company and raise a stink with the owner. They don't want any bad publicity - so her brother might get reprimanded. Maybe next time she will keep it to herself, which is really all you want any way.

Zigner

I get it. Technically Dad could have called the school, or photo company and ordered his own anyway, so it should not have been a big deal. I doubt that there is anything illegal - but you could sure call the company and raise a stink with the owner. They don't want any bad publicity - so her brother might get reprimanded. Maybe next time she will keep it to herself, which is really all you want any way.
The brother would get reprimanded for "theft" - but again, let it go, sheesh.

terp

And BTW...at XMAS time, I gave dad a manilla envelope with a big picture and a couple smaller ones. He gave it back at the end of his visit and told me to keep them. He didn't need them. He didn't like the picture because son looked too much like my family for his liking.....yeah...his words.:):D

frylover

And BTW...at XMAS time, I gave dad a manilla envelope with a big picture and a couple smaller ones. He gave it back at the end of his visit and told me to keep them. He didn't need them. He didn't like the picture because son looked too much like my family for his liking.....yeah...his words.:):D
What a jerk!

When my hubby and his ex split, she gave him a set of dishes they had gotten when they got married because, and this is a quote "I don't want anything around here that reminds me of you." I guess she failed to notice that their daughter was the IMAGE of him!

penelope10

It's no biggie. I will remember to salute her..."all mighty meddler" :rolleyes:
Well all I can tell you is my oldest was in Who's Who of American High School students (You know the outfit that sends you a letter stating, "What an honor this is and someone has nominated your child etc. etc."). Found out that the public library buys copies of these books which means ANYBODY can go to the library and have access...

This falls under the really irritating things that meddlers do.

When this happens to me with my ex ,whom I call "The Great and Powerful OZ", I lock the bathroom door, run a bubble bath, and have a nice glass of wine.

Problem solved.

terp

It's really no biggie. Just bothered me..the whole back door thing of it.

I guess I will be able to save on son's photos until he graduates.

I should let Stepmom know that I appreciate her handling it so I can save a few bucks!:D

majomom1

It's really no biggie. Just bothered me..the whole back door thing of it.

I guess I will be able to save on son's photos until he graduates.

I should let Stepmom know that I appreciate her handling it so I can save a few bucks!:D
There ya go! Tell her to get some for you too, since she gets em free!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">