• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Welfare/child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state? Tx

I have recently found out that my ex is receiving some form of Medicaid/food stamps/welfare of some sort. I recall reading other posts that say the NCP will have to reimburse the state in the long run for what the CP has received. Now he has a new wife and another child as well so I beleive it is possible that my daughter is not included in the paperwork for this. I also pay child support and my daughter is on my new husbands insurance. I guess I was wondering if I could somehow end up responsible for repaying the money to the state if in fact she was included in this? I have tried asking my ex about this, but he refuses to tell me that my daughter is or is not included. If he is in fact defrauding the state I want to make sure that my tracks are clear. Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.


Senior Member
If it were me, I'd write a detailed letter advising the various agencies of your CS case number, that support IS being paid, that the child is and has been insured by you since X date under X policy at your expense and does not need additional insurance. Include your child's address, name SS, DOB, ex's name etc, all partie's addresses. That you heard they may be providing benefits and were concerned that they were not aware that you were taking care of CS and insurance. Send a copy certified mail, return reciept requested. Keep the letter and return reciepts.

That way, the agencies providing those services are on record as of X date as being fully informed that your child is insured and recieving CS. You might speak to your attorney and see what they suggest.


Senior Member
things like foodstamps and medicaid do not have to be paid back by either parent as long as they have been got legally.

your support should be listed as income for all these programs

your ins. should be listed as primary ins. anything not covered by your ins. would then be covered by the medicaid program.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential