• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Well contaminated by road salt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tal74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
My well is being contaminated by road salt and destroying everything the water touches in my house. Filed a claim with the county imive in since it’s a county road. They denied claim saying they aren’t negligent. What type of lawyer should I get to sue? Neighbor across the street is having the exact same issue.

Just Blue

My well is being contaminated by road salt and destroying everything the water touches in my house. Filed a claim with the county imive in since it’s a county road. They denied claim saying they aren’t negligent. What type of lawyer should I get to sue? Neighbor across the street is having the exact same issue.
You would need an Environmental Attorney.

quincy

Have you experienced any health issues as a result of the contamination?

Maryland has recognized the problem with road salt contaminating ground water - as have the other states that rely on salt treatments for snowy and icy roads in the winter - but finding a workable alternative has not been an easy task. A city near where I live replaced salt with sand - a cheap alternative to salt but not very effective on icy roads. Sand/salt mixtures can reduce salt contamination. And Maryland has tried sugar beet molasses and cheese brine. But these alternatives are not as effective as road salt when trying to get drivers safely from point A to point B in the winter.

Here are links to information, and some suggestions on how residents can also help reduce salt contamination, published by Maryland's Department of the Environment:

http://mde.maryland.gov/programs/Marylander/Pages/roadSalt.aspx

http://mde.maryland.gov/programs/Marylander/Documents/cary_report_road_salt_2010.pdf

Although you should review your claimed damages with an attorney in your area, I am not convinced you will have any success with a lawsuit if the County is treating the roads within State guidelines.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">