• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wells Fargo won’t let me work from home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JerryToms

Hello all,

I’m a fairly new employee to Wells Fargo and they recently told all Wells Fargo employees under my department to work from home as long as you have been with the company for 6 months or longer. Normally I wouldn’t care but I'm trying really hard to avoid contact with others as I care for someone with a compromised immune system. I asked my manager and I was told no I can’t because I haven’t been with Wells Fargo for 6 months or longer. Now the direction from the government is stay at home if you can. My employer can let me but won’t. Should I contact legal council?

adjusterjack

A lawyer will just cost you lots of money and isn't likely to change anything. With less people at work there is less of an exposure.

Wear a mask and latex gloves at work and take all the recommended precautions.

What do you do at WF that you might be able to do at home? And what city are you in?

quincy

I don’t know why it would matter since you say it’s a waste of time but I’m an account processor.
If you are handling customer private account information, you perhaps could be seen as more of a security risk than an employee who has been with the company for a longer period of time.

bcr229

I can't work from home either as there is not enough bandwidth on the VPN for everyone. Only employees at high risk can do it right now, and it'll be at least another two weeks to get the infrastructure in place for everyone.

The rest of us are split up into shifts so there are fewer people in the building at any one time, and we have to wear a mask if in common areas (hallway, bathroom, break room) but not in our own office with the door shut. Meetings are all via Skype/teleconference. Ask your boss if you can flex your hours so you're coming in very early or working late to limit your exposure to other people.

Wash your hands often, avoid the break room (bring your own coffee in a thermos, lunch in a cooler, etc), etc. Shower and change your clothes immediately when you get home.

ALawyer

For an employer to discriminate based on one's length of service is not a prohibited classification, and normally would not be actionable. It's not inherently unreasonable for an employer to grant longer tenured / more experienced people greater privileges, and it's usually the case that they are less in need of direct supervision than newer employees.

While I can sympathize with your situation, many other people are in your shoes, having an elderly or immune compromised family member living in close proximity. It may take years to shake out all the litigation likely to arise from COVID-19 related claims, but I doubt that (at least at this point) any lawyer would take on your potential case on a contingency fee basis.

JerryToms

@Ohiogal
Are you a self-employed or contract worker?
I’m a full time employee. I’m a team lean but I’ve only been there 4 months. Apparently it is a trust issue since any employee in my department that has been with Wells Fargo 6 months or longer can work from home full time. I can work remotely for meetings and such just not full time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not illegal discrimination. It may or may not be foolish on Wells Fargo's part but it is not illegal discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">