• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Were My Rights Violated ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Pa.
We booked a campsite at a park run by the Army Corps of Engineers, for the Labor Day weekend. It is at a manmade lake about 50 miles from my home.

Everything went well Friday & Saturday. Sunday morning we got a visit from one of the park rangers, who accused my wife of letting our dog run loose. She told him that our dog was tied or on the leash the whole time we were there - which could have been easily verified by asking any of those camped around us. He preceded to yell at her, saying "He wasn't going to argue with her" & would fine us $35 if he got another report. (There were lots of other dogs there & some were running loose BTW.) The ranger was extremely rude.

After the ranger left I went down to the station & asked if the supervisor was in. The ranger & one female clerk were the only ones there. I was told "He would be back Tuesday". Then the ranger gave me another lecture about how "he couldn't let me disrupt other's use of the park".

This was our first vacation in 3 years & we spent our last few dollars to fund the trip. After a short discussion, we decided to pack up & go home. Having already been unjustly accused, tried & convicted, we figured the $35 fine & eviction would be occurring in short order. Our 3 kids were broken hearted...

We are extremely distressed at this situation & are amazed that something like this can occur on federal government property in this day & age.

By the way our 15 year old daughter is disabled, with a brain tumor. She was with us on this trip, if that makes any difference.

My question is this: Were any of our rights violated & who can I contact for legal help ?


Senior Member
your rights were not violated.

Neither were those of your children.

It was YOUR decision to leave.

You need to write to the supervisor of the Ranger Station and file a formal complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential