• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We've got the survey, now what?????????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

My neighbor recently had his property surveyed and found a building of mine was 6 feet on his property. Since this building has been there since 1974, we decided the simplest way to handle this is to survey off 12 feet and transfer it to me, all very cordial, no problem. My question is: the survey has been done, now what? My thoughts are, a deed has to be created from this survey for this sliver of land, it has to be recorded and then transferred to me. Is my thinking correct on this and is there anything else that has to be done?
Thank you,
S

FarmerJ

you could also grant each other written permission to use identical amounts of land with a restriction, should weather or age cause the shed to have to be rebuilt then it must be moved so its no longer encroaching and then the permissions granted to each of you to use identical amounts of the others land would expire. Other wise a attorney should be able to assist you each with a formal land swap. Try the links up top for a real estate attorney.

OK-LL

Unfortunately, depending on your local planning and zoning department rules (meaning if you are in an area like Tulsa which is governed by INCOG), you may have to do a lot split from the original lot and a lot joinder to attach the 12' parcel to your lot. This applies in most urban and suburban areas which are governed by city/county planning and zoning commissions. Check with your local offices to see if you must do more than prepare a deed to transfer the property.

Unfortunately, depending on your local planning and zoning department rules (meaning if you are in an area like Tulsa which is governed by INCOG), you may have to do a lot split from the original lot and a lot joinder to attach the 12' parcel to your lot. This applies in most urban and suburban areas which are governed by city/county planning and zoning commissions. Check with your local offices to see if you must do more than prepare a deed to transfer the property.

Thank you both for your replies. I should have been more descriptive. The building is a metal shop, 30 x 50 in size so it is not going to be moved in the future. The location is a small rural town, no zoning, etc. At this time, we don't need a building permit to erect anything . As of yesterday, the other owner had taken the new survey to the local abstract office to handle. Is the procedure for them to update both abstract's information with the addition of a new legal to each or ??????. Any ideas of what happens now?

Shelby

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">