• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What 2 Expect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

taking2long

In California:

I have a child from an unmarried relationship and am taking the child's mother to court because she's kept our child from me over the years. I would like to ask the judge to order mediation so we can work out a parenting plan since she is unwilling to communicate with me AT ALL...I'm just wondering what to expect. I believe she will ask for my parental rights to be terminated on grounds of abandonment, but I am prepared to prove this wrong. I have proof that she's hidden from me and lied about her whereabouts over the years. She also claims I've had no contact with her whatsoever regarding the child, which is also untrue I have evidence to show. I guess my real question is, when should I present this evidence? Initially when I file, or should I wait for her accusations then introduce at the hearing?

Also, when is the proper time to present my parenting plan?

Any advice is appreciated.

T

taking2long

No Responses to my Question

:( Guess I need to have something more interesting to ask about...like my drug habits ;)

A

annefan1000

>>I guess my real question is, when should I present this evidence? Initially when I file, or should I wait for her accusations then introduce at the hearing?<<

If you are initiating the petition, then you would disclose your dispute in the petition. In the legal system, the defendant is notified of the suit, and they have a legal right to defend. They must be informed of exactly what it is that they must offer a defense for.

>>Also, when is the proper time to present my parenting plan?<<

Now you are talking about an agreement (parenting plan). If you are trying to come to some sort of amicable agreement as to custody & visitation, then you would provide the mother with your proposal and it is up to her to either agree or refute. If the mother refutes the contents of your plan, then you would take it to court.

karma1

any time you file something in family court...

in CA-parents do go to mediation-
that is where you work out your parenting plans-
do not bash the other parent
work things out in the best interest of the child
also-judge will go by mediators recommondations -as I have seen, almost to the letter-
not a lawyer-just been through CA family court-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">