• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What a trademark holder can do.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

PayrollHRGuy, you asked me if I thought a trademark holder could do anything about the way eBay classifies goods on its site (https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/ebay-misclassifying-clothing-brands-market-segment.650859/).

My answer is "yes" - but I think if the trademark holder in the linked-thread thought there was a problem, the trademark holder would have addressed it with eBay already.

What a trademark holder has in its arsenal of legal actions available to pursue include trademark infringement under the Lanham Act's section 1125, which covers any word, false designation of origin, false or misleading description, or false representation of fact, which causes or is likely to cause confusion, or to misrepresent the characteristics of the trademark holder's goods or services.

The trademark holder has product disparagement laws which cover negative statements or false comparisons that affect the reputation of the company and its goods/services.

The trademark holder has false or misleading advertising laws, when ads call into question the qualities or characteristics of the company's goods/services.

The trademark holder has trademark dilution laws which can support actions even if there is no evidence of consumer confusion or deception, or actual economic injury.

Because trademark holders are charged with protecting their own rights and are solely responsible for discovering infringers, some trademark infringers can go undetected. It can, therefore, be up to the public to report what they see. This is especially helpful when trying to stop the sales of counterfeit goods.

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

But that isn't the issue in question. The issue here is that a third party sales site has categorized the brand as a "value" brand. That is no different than a store owner deciding to put an item in a space that isn't "the best". Value has no legal meaning in this case. It isn't like eBay is saying Izod is crap.

BTW... I looked around an eBay search of Izod and couldn't find "value" even listed.

quincy

But that isn't the issue in question. The issue here is that a third party sales site has categorized the brand as a "value" brand. That is no different than a store owner deciding to put an item in a space that isn't "the best". Value has no legal meaning in this case. It isn't like eBay is saying Izod is crap.

BTW... I looked around an eBay search of Izod and couldn't find "value" even listed.
Those who describe products need to be careful what words they choose. That is all I am saying. :)

I don't really care what PinkJazz wrote in his thread because it is not his legal issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">