• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What actions are OPTIONAL when pulled over for DUI inquiries?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

I still remember the time I was visiting a college town from out of state. They had a DUI checkpoint that routed us into a university parking lot. I passed the screen there but since I only had handwritten instructions on how to get where I was going (this was before everybody had GPSs in their phones) I exited the parking lot and turned right back into the street that I had been pulled off of. I think when you go through the DUI checkpoint the second time in two minutes they look a little deeper to see if you might be intoxicated.

john maguire

Yes. If you are pulled over by the police, you can refuse all testing - but there can be consequences to refusing, depending on the circumstances and the state.

Would you care to elaborate on your situation?
Is this a hypothetical situation?
I don't really have a 'situation' (yet). This is just a thought experiment. I've never (yet) been pulled over for suspicion of DUI nor have any DUI checkpoints I've encountered asked me to do a FST or blood test. I'm just wondering what I can refuse to do should those circumstances arise.

quincy

I don't really have a 'situation' (yet). This is just a thought experiment. I've never (yet) been pulled over for suspicion of DUI nor have any DUI checkpoints I've encountered asked me to do a FST or blood test. I'm just wondering what I can refuse to do should those circumstances arise.
What is the name of your state?

As said earlier, you can refuse all tests - but refusals may have consequences, depending on the laws in your state and the specific facts of your situation.

We typically do not address hypotheticals on this forum because hypotheticals can veer off into too many different directions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free and Confidential