• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What am I responsible as a seller?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Debbie14

What am I responsible as a seller/Water valve broken?

I sold my house and called the water company to discontinue my service as of a specific date. The new owner did not call and have her service turned on until the day she moved in. Since she did not call in advance, the water was turned off. When the water company went to turn it back on, the valve was broken and we are being told that we are responsible for fixing it. Is this my responsibility or the new owners? In speaking to the water company, they told me they would not have turned the water off if she would have called in advance and this would not have happened. The estimated amount to fix this is $600 - $1300.
Thanks

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Re: What am I responsible as a seller/Water valve broken?

Debbie14 said:
I sold my house and called the water company to discontinue my service as of a specific date. The new owner did not call and have her service turned on until the day she moved in. Since she did not call in advance, the water was turned off. When the water company went to turn it back on, the valve was broken and we are being told that we are responsible for fixing it. Is this my responsibility or the new owners? In speaking to the water company, they told me they would not have turned the water off if she would have called in advance and this would not have happened. The estimated amount to fix this is $600 - $1300.
Thanks
**A: the new owners are responsible since they owned the property at the time the valve broke.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">