• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my obligations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KELLY4647

What is the name of your state?West Virginia
I received a letter from my landlord yesterday to repair some damages to the driveway that goes to our mobile home lot. When it rains, we normally park at the bottom of the driveway which is nothing more but two dirt ruts going up the hill, but on this day, our road was currently flooding because of the rains we were receiving off Hurricane Katrina. My husband and I pulled our vehicles up the hill as far as possible, then parked. With all the rain, the ruts in the driveway became deeper. My landlord now tells me I have to fix the ruts or they will block off the driveway and I will not be allowed to drive up. My house is 200 feet uphill from the main road. Am I responsible for the condition of the driveway or does the landlord have to maintain it?

what does your lease say?

Check your rental agreement, does it say that you are responsible for the upkeep of the driveway? In most cases, the landlord is responsible for any upkeep...and his homeowners insurance (if he has any) should pay for it. If the road was as bad as you say it was and is now, you should have asked your landlord for it to be maintained before now. I do not think it is legal to block or stop you from using the road to access your home. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will point it out.

KELLY4647

what does your lease say?

We moved our trailer onto a lot that our friends own. There is no written agreement just a verbal agreement stating that we will pay lot rent each month by the fifteenth. As far as the driveway is concerned, my husband and I purchased and put down gravel on part of the driveway ourselves. The rain that we had last week washed away the majority of the gravel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">