• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are My Options

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Huyckf

What is the name of your state? Virginia.

My son (15yrs old) was involved in a physical alltercation in school with another boy. The school has suspended him for ten days and we are awaiting a decision whether the school is going to suspend him for the rest of the year and a portion of next year. Then yesterday I received a summons for him, myself and my wife to appear for an arraignment for assualt charges on my son. I certainly don't want to fight the assualt charges because my son did assualt this child. What I can't understand is why nothing is being done about the other boy. The school states that the boy did nothing during the fight. However, this boy had taunted, harrased, and made fun of my son for three weeks before my son decided to take the action he did. I might add that this was being done by this boy right in front of school officials and nothing was ever done. Is there a criminal charge such as provoking speech or gestures or something simular that this child can be charged with. It's time to stop treating the symptoms and start treating the cause.

Another question is what responsibility does the school have for maintaining accountability and saftey of their children now. I might add that this assualt had occured during a time frame that my son was suppose to be in an afternoon SOL Study Group. The teacher decided that she was going to release the students a half hour early and this is when this all occured. Now we as parents had to sign a letter from the school stating that our child would be in this class from the end of the school day until 4:00. They were released at 3:30 with no supervision which in my opinion allowed this to occur.

HomeGuru

Huyckf said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia.

My son (15yrs old) was involved in a physical alltercation in school with another boy. The school has suspended him for ten days and we are awaiting a decision whether the school is going to suspend him for the rest of the year and a portion of next year. Then yesterday I received a summons for him, myself and my wife to appear for an arraignment for assualt charges on my son. I certainly don't want to fight the assualt charges because my son did assualt this child. What I can't understand is why nothing is being done about the other boy. The school states that the boy did nothing during the fight. However, this boy had taunted, harrased, and made fun of my son for three weeks before my son decided to take the action he did. I might add that this was being done by this boy right in front of school officials and nothing was ever done. Is there a criminal charge such as provoking speech or gestures or something simular that this child can be charged with. It's time to stop treating the symptoms and start treating the cause.

Another question is what responsibility does the school have for maintaining accountability and saftey of their children now. I might add that this assualt had occured during a time frame that my son was suppose to be in an afternoon SOL Study Group. The teacher decided that she was going to release the students a half hour early and this is when this all occured. Now we as parents had to sign a letter from the school stating that our child would be in this class from the end of the school day until 4:00. They were released at 3:30 with no supervision which in my opinion allowed this to occur.
**A: I suggest you hire an attorney to defend him and to investigate and determine if any wrongdoing has taken place by the school officials.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">