• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Desmarie

I am located in New Hampshire.

I was given a demand for rent in April, I was unable to meet the demands by set deadline. I made 2 payments after deadline which were accepted and cashed. I did not know my landlord was going to continue with eviction process since it was taken care of just not on time. I did send 2 payments which still left me 2 payments behind on rent but the demand was only for the 2 payments which were sent and cashed.
I received a notice today from a sheriff stating I was to be off of said property by 5/10 and I am still residing there illegally so I would have to file an appearance form by 6/19.
Do I still continue to pay my rent until said date or hold off and wait to see what the judge states?
If the said payments were made and accepted after date on demand can they proceed with this eviction or do they have to provide current paperwork with the new months that we are behind?

FarmerJ

So what you didn't say was my question, SO when you were served the notice that your LL had filed and was suing you for eviction based on non pay and the summons had a actual court date you chose to not go to court and the LL won by default judgment since you didn't show up because you thought it was okay since you paid ?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
1) Look for a new place to live.
2) Continue paying rent until you move.
3) Keep documentation that you paid rent.

Had you shown up to court with documentation that you had paid the rent, and that the LL had accepted payments after posting the notice, you would be in a better position.

However, it sounds like your chose to be a no show, and now have an eviction on your record. This will make it more difficult for you to find another place to rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">