• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nothappyinKS

What is the name of your state? KANSAS

Last Thursday afternnon a high school kid backed his truck up over the front end of my car. This was on the school's property so he didnt recieve a ticket for this. The police were called and a report was filed. The parents of the kid didnt want to report it to insurance and said they take care of fixing my car.

Estimates are ranging between 1400 and 1800 bucks. The mom took my estimates and told me she'd be calling me back. Since then Ive heard nothing. My car is only worth about 1000 so I only have liability. But Id at least like to get that amount out of this.

Im considering just turning it into insurance on Tuesday if I dont hear back from them Monday. What would happen if that were the case?

Am I going to have to go to court to get this compensated? :confused:

BelizeBreeze

nothappyinKS said:

Last Thursday afternnon a high school kid backed his truck up over the front end of my car. This was on the school's property so he didnt recieve a ticket for this. The police were called and a report was filed. The parents of the kid didnt want to report it to insurance and said they take care of fixing my car.

Estimates are ranging between 1400 and 1800 bucks. The mom took my estimates and told me she'd be calling me back. Since then Ive heard nothing. My car is only worth about 1000 so I only have liability. But Id at least like to get that amount out of this.

Im considering just turning it into insurance on Tuesday if I dont hear back from them Monday. What would happen if that were the case?

are you a high school student yourself?

Happy Trails

nothappyinKS said:

You've got problems, the damage exceeds the value of your vehicle.

If this was turned into the insurance company they would total your vehicle (because damage exceeds the FMV), then the vehicle becomes the insurance company's property. You don't get to keep the money and the car.

The other party, probably will be looking at the value of your vehicle as well.

Last edited:

nothappyinKS

No, Im 44. So basically I will either lose my car or get the money? Those are my options? Thats crap. There was nothing wrong with this car until this dumb kid hit it.

BelizeBreeze

nothappyinKS said:
No, Im 44. So basically I will either lose my car or get the money? Those are my options? Thats crap. There was nothing wrong with this car until this dumb kid hit it.
that's what you get for driving a junker. It's life.

nothappyinKS

Aww its not a junker, it's just old is all. It had not one dent or scratch on it. Just one more case of the little man getting the shaft I guess.

BHC

Turning your car over to the insurance company if they total it?

This was not the case in NC as of two years ago. My "old clunker" 80 Corolla station wagon was hit while sittnig at an intersection. The insurance company paid us $400.00 and we had to get a salvage title but we retained the car. Proud to say it now has 636,000 + miles on it and the engine has never been touched other than to change the oil. I mostly just add. :p

Its like the disclaimer says every states laws may differ. For that matter things may have changed here in NC since the accident. I'd check with my insurance company (hypothetically) and find out what my options are. then contactr the kids parents and let them know something needs to be done ASAP.

"Old clunker" indeed! We all can't afford a new Lexus. Nor do we all want one.

.[/QUOTE]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">