• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights when living in the same home as my landlord (with seperate entrances) and they are on Probation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acwim

I live in the basement apartment of my landlord's home and it has a separate entrance as well as amenities. This means if I wanted to I could secure all entrances to my apartment and my landlord wouldn't have access to it unless they ask my permission.
However, my landlord is on Probation for the next year and I am wondering if this means that I am legally obligated to allow their P.O. to search my apartment?

Just Blue

I live in the basement apartment of my landlord's home and it has a separate entrance as well as amenities. This means if I wanted to I could secure all entrances to my apartment and my landlord wouldn't have access to it unless they ask my permission.
However, my landlord is on Probation for the next year and I am wondering if this means that I am legally obligated to allow their P.O. to search my apartment?
What state?

quincy

Possibly. It depends on the terms of your landlord's probation.

As Just Blue asks, please provide the name of your state. Certain conditions of probation are standard nationwide, other conditions can be state-specific, and other conditions are offender-specific.

HRZ

many a basement apartment is not "legal " ...I'd minimize the debate until you are sure of status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">