• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? oregon
I have legal gurdianship of my granddaughter. She is my Son's child by his previous girlfriend. She is almost 7 years old. She has "lived " with us almost constantly since birth...my son was 17 and girlfriend 16 when child born....my son moved away from us (not wanting to be with the girlfriend, and being immature..left his child.) I have helped raise and support my granddaughter ever since. 2 years ago my son finally grew up and decided he wanted to do the right thing and help take care of his daughter. He joined the army and has since paid ALL his back child support and started calling his daughter and went to Utah to see her. He was then sent to Korea for a 1 year posting, and then to Iraq to the war. He returned last week and wants custody of his daughter. The mother of my granddaughter is as truly unfit person..i won't go into too many details here.
The mother(who is into alcohol and drugs ) since has had two more children with a registered sex offender. He lived with my granddaghter in Utah for a year or so until he was caught for breaking probation and sent back to oregon and jail AGAIN. The mother of my grandchild married this man right before he went back to jail. When he got out she invited him back to her home (trying to keep it from us of course.) I still have the papers for legal guardianship of my granddaghter, though I have never pushed the issue. My granddaughter has been living here with me since March of this year (so the mom could move in with another boyfriend) andI wanted to send her to Colorado to visit her dad (my son)...when I told the mother I was going to do this she forbade me to and flipped out about me taking her child away...she threatened me with legal action if I sent her out of state....WHAT DO I DO NOW?


Senior Member
Well , have your son send you a Letter of Permission (naming the Son )for you ( naming you and all with you )to take him out of State to see him. Have it notarized . Also take any proof the as to your Son being the child's Father . ( birth Certificate is one .

Take the Letter with you on you travel and keep it with you at all times ( make a copy and put it in a safe place in case you Need it later on ) .

Also take a copy of your Guardianship Documents .

Make sure you have contact info for the Father to reach him at all times , in case the Mother puts out an amber Alert .
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential