• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terrificteesh

What is the name of your state?new york im 28 weeks pregnant and not with the father. I recently found out he has a felony drug charge and has a drinking problem. I want nothing to do with him and fear that he is beyond irrisponsible. His mother has alot of money and he brags that she has spent over a million dollars on legal fees on him. What happens with custody if he can afford a good laywer and i cant. Could they give him full custody or take my custody away?

BelizeBreeze

terrificteesh said:
What is the name of your state?new york im 28 weeks pregnant and not with the father.
That is all you needed to post. The rest of it, at this time, is irrelevant.

At this time the 'father' has no legal rights. PERIOD.

At best, he would have to prove you unfit and have the court terminate your parental rights to exclude you from custody. That's not going to happen, even if you did drugs with him.

What he CAN look forward to is shared custody and visitation at a minimum. But, not until he can prove paternity. And then you file for child support.

now, do you think it's time for an attorney?

LdiJ

terrificteesh said:
What is the name of your state?new york im 28 weeks pregnant and not with the father. I recently found out he has a felony drug charge and has a drinking problem. I want nothing to do with him and fear that he is beyond irrisponsible. His mother has alot of money and he brags that she has spent over a million dollars on legal fees on him. What happens with custody if he can afford a good laywer and i cant. Could they give him full custody or take my custody away?
Stop and take a big deep breath. Then, for the sake of the health of your pregnancy, stop communicating with this guy. The stress isn't good for you or the baby.

Start saving money if you can so that when the baby is born you can hire an attorney.

However, if he honestly has a felony drug charge on his record you probably have nothing to worry about. In any case, the odds of him being able to get primary custody (unless he can prove you legally unfit) are extremely slim.

BL

If you meet the guidelines of Indigent , NY Courts will appoint a Lawyer in the Custody cases , not child support matters . They are separate .

Don't worry until He files , then at the First Court Appearance request appointment of an Attorney right at the beginning. If you don't meet the Guidelines there are Lawyer firms that charge on a sliding scale fee based on your income .

Remember the Lawyer works for you .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">