• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



i am from california and my queston is regaurding my rights as a parent. in 1996, i was finally able to leave an abusive relatonship that i had been in for 3 years. during that relatonship, i had 2 children. in the fall of 1997, my children'd father, whom i never married, took off with my kids during a visitation weekend for 3 months. when i finally found him, i went to court and received full, sole custody of my children. he was allowed supervised visitation and was ordered by the courts to pay $200 a month. three days after we went to court, he called me to set up a time for visitation. he didn't show up and i hadn't heard from him since. 3 days ago i received letters from him, after 3 1/2 years of no contact, through the DA's office. all of a sudden he wants to be a part in their life. he stated he would start paying child support (i have yet to see a dime since we went to court in 1997) and he wants to work out visitation without the courts being involved. he now currently lives in Alaska and wants me to send them there this summer. What are my rights? I am currently married and my husband had wanted to adopt the boys. mentally, i don't know if my children would be able to handle this, because of all of the abuse that had happened before. plese help me!!! what are my options? thank you for your help in advance. sincerely, shey

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential