• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are our options to stop elderly abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Karen Merback

If this is elderly abuse? Who and How do we contact to help intervene this situation?

:confused: What is the name of your state? Wyoming
My husband's father died barely 4 months ago. He had suffered for over 2 years from Lung Cancer. He left his loving wife of 50 yrs heartbroken and financially fit until my brother in law announced he was the power of attorney which no one has seen the documents to prove this. She has a tumor with other health problems that cause her to be quite unstable at times.

Problem? The middle child 49 yrs of age has been living at home due to not working, on 3 yrs probation due to a drug charge. He drinks all day and is the only signer on the mother's checking accounts besides herself. His father died suddenly and we do believe that he was planning to change this arrangement, but was too ill to follow through with putting my husband's name on the account. He is now a full blown alcoholic. We recently were told that he has not been paying his mother's bills according to her and she needed to transfer money from her money market account due to checks bouncing. What can we do to intervene legally so all parties get the help. they need.

Need some answers soon as the situation is escalating this holiday season!

Last edited:

No answers?

I can't believe no one has responded to this. I just wish I had answers!

The only advice I can give, unless someone has better advice, is to call your local courthouse. In Austin, you can request a free session with a lawyer at the courthouse. They are not considered YOUR lawyer and cannot tell you what to do, but they can explain the laws and your rights. Check to see if this service is offered in your area.

Good luck and I'm SOOO sorry to hear this.

Karen Merback

Thanks for your reply

It has been rather frustrating to have no answers and I do appreciate that you have responded. Our family and friends keep telling us to do something and we would love to but do not know where to begin. You have offered something we can at least try that is more than we had yesterday. You have given us something to grasp onto believe there is a solution in the very near future. :)

Karen Merback

Another twist to this web of intertwined chaos

Today we went to visit his mother when all his siblings left to play golf. They asked us to "babysit their mother" while they go play. This was our opportunity window to have a talk to see how we can get some answers from his mother as to if she will support us in making some changes in the care giving arrangements. My husband is a pharmacist and prepares her medications weekly in a hourly tray. He noticed all her pain medication was missing and he just picked up her refill yesterday. His mother told him that his sister has been taking them. Now we have to addicts to deal with! It is our son's 24th birthday tomorrow and they want to have a party for him at their mother's house. His son refuses to go there if they are present as they have accused him of stealing his grandma's drugs. Well, now that we know the truth as we already knew it wasn't our son taking them we told them we were having the party at our house. My husband told them he would pick up his mother for the party and that they were not invited. They called 30 minutes later to say they were going to the lake for the day so we could have our "party" at their mother's while they are gone. I feel like I am raising teenagers again. These folks are in their 40s. Action is certainly needed in this accelerating situation. HELP :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">