• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are our rights as tenants when moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TigerD

Yes, I was on the lease as a co-signer and my son is 20 years old.
A co-signer is not on the lease. You get to pay the bill, not get the notices.

kobimal said:
Yes, the apartment was in good condition when left May 31st but his roommate stayed till the end of the lease in August. My son did not take pictures or video.
Your son, and you as co-signer, were liable for damages through the end of the lease. You and he have no knowledge of the condition at the time of move out. His issue may be with his roommate.

You can talk to a lawyer, but it will be cheaper to pay the bill than to pay a lawyer.

TD

FarmerJ

There are indeed times where a so called adult child when away from home for the first time does things that they would prefer to NEVER share any detail of with parents , especially when parents are footing part of the bill if not all of it. KOBIMAL I am wondering do you have any documentation as to the condition of the rental at the time your son and roommate moved in ?

kobimal

ut going back to junior again make him get records from the property managem
There are indeed times where a so called adult child when away from home for the first time does things that they would prefer to NEVER share any detail of with parents , especially when parents are footing part of the bill if not all of it. KOBIMAL I am wondering do you have any documentation as to the condition of the rental at the time your son and roommate moved in ?
No sir, we don't. Apartment didn't provide my son with inventory form when moving in / final walk through when moving out. Never notified us for any damage in order for us to get it resolved (clean, paint, move out trash etc..) they just sent us a bill to pay.
It is not acceptable as the course of action should have been to notify us (which they didn't) and if we ignore it then they paint, clean etc.. and charge us.
Please let us know if you think we have ground to sue them or how would you handle it in peaceful ways prior to take it to court in case we have grounds to sue them.

Just Blue

No sir, we don't. Apartment didn't provide my son with inventory form when moving in / final walk through when moving out. Never notified us for any damage in order for us to get it resolved (clean, paint, move out trash etc..) they just sent us a bill to pay.
It is not acceptable as the course of action should have been to notify us (which they didn't) and if we ignore it then they paint, clean etc.. and charge us.
Please let us know if you think we have ground to sue them or how would you handle it in peaceful ways prior to take it to court in case we have grounds to sue them.
Sue them for what? If your son didn't get a move in/move out damage list he should have taken lots of pic's with his cell or video. I'm surprised you didn't tell him to do this as it is a standard and common sense action when one rents.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Please have your son register and post on his own.

Even a 17 year old college freshman living in the dorms should know enough to get and fill out an inventory form upon move in. It is common knowledge among college students that if you do not thoroughly document deficiencies, that those deficiencies can be held against you upon move out.

Your son is an adult.

He should be adulting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">