• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what are rights of insured vs owner of whole life

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

superagt

owner vs insured status

Forgive me but this is my first post and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right but here goes. I live in Virginia. My question is that my employer has a key man life insurance policy on me - he is the owner and beneficiary. As I am approaching 65, the policy can be converted to whole life. He has told me that he would pay half of the premium as long as I am working and I can change the beneficiary to whomever I choose. If he remains the owner (I assume he could transfer ownership to me if he wishes) would I be able to either surrender it sometime down the road if I needed to or make a loan against the cash value? I'm wondering if he could just surrender it or cash it in if he wants later. I'm just trying to figure out if I should even bother with it unless he is willing to convey ownership to me. It would be nice to have the insurance for my son but I know he would not want me to have the burden of paying this premium after retirement on a limited income.

Last edited:

somarco

The owner retains all rights to the policy, including the right to assign benefits, change ownership of the policy, make loans against the policy, change the beneficiary . . .

Until you have control (ownership) of the policy, your employer is in complete control.

If you are unable to get the results you need, and want a policy for your heirs, you will need to purchase one independent of your employer.

superagt

ownership rights

Thanks for your advice. This is pretty much what I thought too but wanted
confirmation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">