• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the chances I can move out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kessie

What is the name of your state?
Texas

Hello,
My whole family lives out of state. My childs dads family lives 5 hours away and we see them 1-2 times a year. With the exception of my childs grandma (his dads mom). When my childs father travels for work she will try to cover his temporary court ordered visitation. We went to court two years ago so I could try to move closer to my family for support raising my 2 year old. The father travels 9 months out of the year for work. So far this year he has been out of the country for 4 months (it’s May) and has seen our son 3 weekends. He told the judge when we went to court he wasn’t going to travel anymore but lied. Now we are looking to finalize our orders. I have no help except daycare and grandma will only help during her sons court ordered hours. Do I have a chance to get to move if we go to court or do I not waste time and money and try to mediate for more child support to cover child care?

adjusterjack

Shouldn't be too hard to convince a judge that your ex travels for work despite his assertions to the contrary.

But that's just my two cents worth and I can't guarantee it.

Unless the court ordered visitation includes grandma you actually have no obligation to allow her to temporarily cover his visitation schedule.

You might be able to use that as leverage.

Up to you.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state?
Texas

Hello,
My whole family lives out of state. My childs dads family lives 5 hours away and we see them 1-2 times a year. With the exception of my childs grandma (his dads mom). When my childs father travels for work she will try to cover his temporary court ordered visitation. We went to court two years ago so I could try to move closer to my family for support raising my 2 year old. The father travels 9 months out of the year for work. So far this year he has been out of the country for 4 months (it’s May) and has seen our son 3 weekends. He told the judge when we went to court he wasn’t going to travel anymore but lied. Now we are looking to finalize our orders. I have no help except daycare and grandma will only help during her sons court ordered hours. Do I have a chance to get to move if we go to court or do I not waste time and money and try to mediate for more child support to cover child care?
Where are you looking to move to? Are you prepared to cover ALL costs of Dad's visitation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">