• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the cons of making an initially low-income LLC, an S-Corp?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pipan

What is the name of your state? TX

Hello

My side-business may have zero income for the first year, so in terms of self-employment taxes it should not matter if I want to make my LLC an S-Corp or not.
What would be the cons of starting and LLC as an S-Corp from the beginning even if you expect you are not going to make much money? Can hassles and costs of S-Corp annual tax preparation fees and CPA costs can be deterrent?

Thank you.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The main potential tax isssues you are likely to encounter starting out the gate as a s-coporaration are that (1) you may be limited in your ability to use a net operating loss against your personal income and (2) the extra adminstrative expenses like the preparation of separate returns, payroll tax processing for you, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">