• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the penalties of driving without a licensed adult with only a permit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arielriley

Hello, I reside in Louisiana. I am 16 years old, legally emancipated, work three jobs, and about to start college. I have a learners permit. I have tried to get around with public transportation but it just doesn't work out with my schedule at all. I have no one to bring me to and from work and school anymore. I am about to purchase a car and insurance so I can continue to work and support myself, and go to school. I know it is unlawful for me to drive without a licensed adult, but it really is becoming my only choice.. I don't get my 'full' license until another 5 months. If I was caught driving with just my permit, what would be the consequences? Thank you.

LdiJ

Hello, I reside in Louisiana. I am 16 years old, legally emancipated, work three jobs, and about to start college. I have a learners permit. I have tried to get around with public transportation but it just doesn't work out with my schedule at all. I have no one to bring me to and from work and school anymore. I am about to purchase a car and insurance so I can continue to work and support myself, and go to school. I know it is unlawful for me to drive without a licensed adult, but it really is becoming my only choice.. I don't get my 'full' license until another 5 months. If I was caught driving with just my permit, what would be the consequences? Thank you.
You would be denied a license for an extended period of time...which would just make your problem worse.

arielriley

You would be denied a license for an extended period of time...which would just make your problem worse.
Thanks for your response.. So what do you think I should do? Like I said, I'm emancipated.. I have no one to support me (I have no problem with that). I HAVE to work and get to work to survive.. And I need to get to school..
Is it possible that I could get my intermediate license early? Is there any time waiver that would allow me to get my intermediate license early? Thank you.

ajkroy

Thanks for your response.. So what do you think I should do? Like I said, I'm emancipated.. I have no one to support me (I have no problem with that). I HAVE to work and get to work to survive.. And I need to get to school..
Is it possible that I could get my intermediate license early? Is there any time waiver that would allow me to get my intermediate license early? Thank you.
Pay someone to drive you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Emancipation does not make other age-related laws go away, and you are expected to abide by them. So no, there is no waiver to get your intermediate license early.

Either you are going to need to find someone to drive you, or you are going to have to have an adult licensed driver in the car with you. There are no other answers.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Check with the DMV about a hardship license. I have no idea if you'd qualify, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
That's only for regular, non-permit license holders who have had their licenses suspended. It does not allow anyone to supersede the graduated licensing laws/regulations.

arielriley

Well, you know, it's the OG Effect writ large.
I don't know what the "OG Effect writ large" is but, mind you, I was emancipated by the notarial/authentic act. Louisiana and Puerto Rico are the only two states that allow emancipation without going in front a judge.. You could only get emancipation this way if your parents agree, which mine wanted me to be emancipated more than I did lol.

To every one else, thanks so much for your responses! I can't believe a cab didn't even cross my mind, so thanks to the person who mentioned paying someone to drive me. That's what I am going to do until I get my full, un-restricted licensed. Thanks so much.. I feel like I dummy for not even thinking about a cab.

arielriley

That's only for regular, non-permit license holders who have had their licenses suspended. It does not allow anyone to supersede the graduated licensing laws/regulations.

Hello, thanks for your responses.. I have searched for information on a hardship license, & I've read that in some cases it can be issued to minors who are not yet eligible for a full, un-restricted license, in order for them to go to work and/or school. I will call my local DMV for information on this and to see if it is possible and lawful in my state for me to have a hardship license.. it doesn't hurt to ask.. that license would be perfect for me because the only places I really need to go & have time in the day to go is work and school. Thank you again.

Just Blue

Hello, thanks for your responses.. I have searched for information on a hardship license, & I've read that in some cases it can be issued to minors who are not yet eligible for a full, un-restricted license, in order for them to go to work and/or school. I will call my local DMV for information on this and to see if it is possible and lawful in my state for me to have a hardship license.. it doesn't hurt to ask.. that license would be perfect for me because the only places I really need to go & have time in the day to go is work and school. Thank you again.
Taxi...

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
There's all sorts of public transportation in Nawlins; IIRC, that's where you live? :cool:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I will call my local DMV for information on this and to see if it is possible and lawful in my state for me to have a hardship license.. it doesn't hurt to ask...

I promise you'll be wasting your time. That is not what a "hardship license" is all about.

arielriley

I promise you'll be wasting your time. That is not what a "hardship license" is all about.
A hardship license is all about when you cannot legally drive, but if you cannot drive, you'll be in a crisis because of lack of work, medical services, food etc..
DEFINITION
HARDSHIP LICENSE – A restricted license issued administratively in accordance with statutes or by order of the court to an applicant whose driving privileges are under suspension. This license allows the applicant to drive during the period of suspension to earn a livelihood or to maintain the necessities of life.
(source: http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1.nsf/58c968bd569b099986256cdc000806eb/7dd0a0bb1d4f760d862564b800564ee4?OpenDocument)

Again, I am legally emancipated. I could easily be in my own apartment, but I have chosen to stay with my grandparents, who are retired and in their 70s/80s.. both with health problems. I take care of them. I pay rent. I work hard at 3 jobs in order to care for myself and this house. Now don't get me wrong, my grandparents aren't "vegetables", but they are getting very old, forgetful, senile, and their health and eyesight is deteriorating. My grandpa used to be the one to bring me to and from work, but like I said, my grandparent's are getting too old for certain things..
If I cannot get to work, I will be homeless and hungry. And if I cannot get to school, well let's just say I'll be working at Claires, Canes, and Wendy's for a longgggggggg time. Period. Both a grocery store and my doctor is in walking distance so I can handle that, but school and work is a very different story. What more of a hardship do I have to have than that? Is work, food, school, and medical needs not a necessity of life?
Again, it won't hurt to call and ask. If it's impossible, I'll just call cabs for 6 months. Thanks for your responses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">