• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can and cannot be done/constructed on land that is zoned for agriculture?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am trying to seek some guidance and as much information as possible regarding the ins and outs (what can and cannot be done/constructed) on land that is zoned for agricultural use and used as an event venue space (weddings, mitzvahs, and other large events). I see them on theknot.com and weddingwire.com and they appear to be legitimate functioning businesses on what I would consider very large parcels of land (5 Acres+).

I am doing my due diligence exploring this model as an option for an event space since brick and mortar commercial space with sufficient parking is scarce and extremely expensive for a new entrepreneur like myself in my neck of the woods (South Florida).

I would be very grateful for any and all input or references of how I can find out more useful, free, and reliable information without going crazy.

For reference, here are 2 examples of venues I found in my area (same owners).

(links removed)

FlyingRon

It would very much depend on the zoning (and other land use) laws in whatever municipality the land is in. "South Florida" doesn't narrow it down at all really. It's typically a county-by-county thing. Commercial space with paved parking is going to be not a "by right" use in most agriculturally-zoned areas that I am aware of. There may be a variance or special exception open to you, but again that depends on the local laws. You might get some assistance by calling the staff at the zoning/planning office. Otherwise, you're going to have to consult a local land-use attorney who can probably tell you just which zoning classes would be compatible with your proposed use.

FarmerJ

counties that but up to heavily populated metro areas often have regulated things like home businesses or created zoning rules that apply so some of the stuff you will need to know would be if you would need a variance to run a business at home where people will come to your property or what the maximum number of days in a month would be that you can be open with out special permits / variances EG where I live I can run a pick your own berry farm where people would park on my land , pick my berries and pay me. If your township -city- or county has created suburban like rules where say you can only have a garage sale once a month , that's the kind of thing your county /city can tell you if it has ordinances written addressing it. Same thing like if you were going to do a wedding barn, you would need to know if you are going to be able to use plastic outhouses for those attendees or if you are going to have to build regular handicap accessible bathroom (s) (including onsite sewer treatment such as mound system septic tank or regular drain field or holding tank where you will have to hire a honeysucker to service it. ( don't forget talking to your insurance agent about changing your coverage so should a attendee fall and say break a ankle you would have coverage that would be able to address that. as well as get your insurers advice about risk management

The city that we are targeting is Miami-Dade county. That being said, what is everyone's thoughts on my original post? There looks to be a number of operating venues out of these types of land zoned as agricultural. Apparently I am not allowed to paste their links on this forum however you can see them for yourself but just doing searches online. The two I was trying to reference are called Unique Palms and the other is called The Vintage Venue. Both in Miami-Dade county.

PayrollHRGuy

It seems the only use for Agriculturally zoned land (AU) in Miami/Dade is Agircutual or single-family homes on 5 acre or greater lots.

FlyingRon

I think it is more than that, but I can't see his wedding parlor being an accepted use. The only possible out would require a determination by the "director" that the use is subservient to one of the other allowed farm uses. (Like a winery that allows weddings to take place there).

PayrollHRGuy

I think it is more than that, but I can't see his wedding parlor being an accepted use. The only possible out would require a determination by the "director" that the use is subservient to one of the other allowed farm uses. (Like a winery that allows weddings to take place there).
I didn't read the law and have no knowlege of how hard or easy it is to get a variance. Where I got that info was from...

http://www.miamidade.gov/zoning/district-au-agricultural.asp Looking back I may have added to it since I wrote 5 acre lots or greater and that just says 5 acre lots.

AU - Agricultural Use Zoning District
This zoning district allows Agricultural uses and single family residences on five-acre lots and every customary use associated with it, including pools, sheds, private garages, carports, etc.

FlyingRon

I posted the ordinance link above. That paraphrase you printed appears to be wrong. Single-family residences are permitted on smaller than five acre lots along with a few other things allowed in the certain other zonings specifically called out (RU-1, EU-1, and EU-M), as well as the twenty or so quasi-agricultural uses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">