• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can be done about a false claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cathy67

Hello,
a family member of my estranged husband that I no longer speak with has instructed a solicitor to claim over £5,000 from me for money they claim to have spent on my behalf (to do with my property). They claim to have paid over £3,000 on my mortgage during 2017, yet all mortgage payments during this time came from my joint bank account with my husband. During this time I withdrew £200 from that bank account, and now my husband's family member is claiming that from me too (money that was mine and never belonged to them). They are claiming that they 'took over' the property as myself and my husband had walked away from it, yet I have a police report to show that I was removed and the locks changed. (They are claiming the cost of the lock change from me too). My husband rented out the property, financed by his family member, against my wishes but they are chasing me for the money. They lied about having made £3,000 in payments, are chasing me for withdrawing my money from my bank account and lied about having taken over the property. They did not take over the property at all, but gave money to my husband so that he could rent it out.

So, what I really want to know, is with all of these lies (which can all be proven to be lies) can I take them to court for making a false claim against me? I've had to get a solicitor and it has cost me money. It is worth noting that they refuse to give me keys to my property even though they do not own it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">