• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do about a forged signature?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I recently started a new service with a company. There were problems with the installation and in short, I didn't sign (nor was given the opportunity to sign) the pertinent paperwork. The installer was using a 2 way radio and telling the guy on the other end that he needs to meet me at my work and have me sign the paperwork. The person responded by saying "I have one of his signatures, I'll trace the rest". He never showed up. I finally requested a copy of the paperwork, and sure enough, the signature isn't even close to mine, they forged it.

The statement that I was signing was a statement that says that I received all of their legal material (Subscriber Privacy Notice is one) and that I was satisfied with the installation and the equipment (which in fact I was not satisfied).

So, what rights do I have? Is this something I should pursue?

Also, they are trying to get me to sign my real signature. Should I do that, or should I wait?

Thanks for the help,

BTW, I am in the state of Washington.

[This message has been edited by markhsch (edited August 09, 2000).]


Senior Member
Mark, the answer to your question is pretty obvious..... NO, DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING unless you agree to accept it!!!

As to the other issue of 'forgery'. You don't detail what damages this 'forgery' will cause you, but here are some options (only you can decide how important this is to you):

1) Contact your local District Attorney office and/or Police. Tell them you want to make a criminal forgery complaint and that you will sign an affidavit that the signature is not yours. They will investigate and take action against the 'forger'.

2) Contact the company that forged your name. Advise them that the 'contract' (if one) is invalid due to their actions and that you are considering taking legal action against them (the employee was their 'agent').

3) Pursue civil action against the individual and the company for their actions and damage to you.

You need to decide what, if any, actions to take.

Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential