• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do about ex who falsely accused me of fraud??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

No the injury happened after she became an ex. As far as there being any fraud... May I add that the accident happened at work, I followed all procedures, passed a drug test, went to their doctors. Their doctors who decided I needed surgery. Their doctors who performed the surgery. Their doctor who diagnosed me with failed laminectomy syndrome. There was nothing fraudulent going on. My ex lied to my employer to pay me back for breaking up with her and dating someone new( both of which happened before the accident). There are days where I just get so angry about not having done anything about it and I finally tried to look into it. But instead of offering any kind of advice, you seem to prefer trying to poke holes in my story where there aren't any.

I'm pretty comfortable in saying that the investigation was in progress before the ex called in.
Why would that be?
the accident happened at work, I followed all procedures, passed a drug test, went to their doctors. Their doctors who decided I needed surgery. Their doctors who performed the surgery. Their doctor who diagnosed me with failed laminectomy syndrome. There was nothing fraudulent going on. My ex lied to my employer to pay me back for breaking up with her and dating someone new( both of which happened before the accident). There was no other reason or action by myself that would have triggered any investigation unless it's just standard procedure.

justalayman

You acquiesced to their decision to reduce their offer. You chose to not fight for whatever you might have gotten and accepted their offer.

You had the right and the opportunity to continue your claim and turn down the $5000 offer. You didn’t. That was your choice.

The girls report may have given them pause and alter their offer but you refusing to continue to fight for your claim is why you got what you got. That’s on you, not the girl.

commentator

The advice is to forget trying to blame her solely for this situation. Move on. And that, regardless of how you'd like to claim she ruined your life, you must accept that it was a given they were going to use this threat, whether or not she'd called in on you or not, because they are sort of like the police, they don't always have to tell you the truth while they're threatening and "negotiating" with you, especially with a big settlement. You should be above reproach, because you can just assume you're going to be questioned and challenged (even if you've done everything they asked you to.) They're not just going to fork over six figures worth of compensation without really investigating you and your case whether fraud has been reported or not. You're not the only person who's ever been injured at work, and they are always going to threaten and question and make it sound hard to collect, especially the big settlements. And ultimately, you did cave as they hoped you would.

quincy

Why would that be?
the accident happened at work, I followed all procedures, passed a drug test, went to their doctors. Their doctors who decided I needed surgery. Their doctors who performed the surgery. Their doctor who diagnosed me with failed laminectomy syndrome. There was nothing fraudulent going on. My ex lied to my employer to pay me back for breaking up with her and dating someone new( both of which happened before the accident). There was no other reason or action by myself that would have triggered any investigation unless it's just standard procedure.
Thank you for the clarification and additional information.

There are always investigations into any claim before a settlement. It is standard practice.

It sounds as if you made a decision on the settlement that was best for you at the time. You were offered a new job in a new state and having a speedy settlement was to your benefit. Had you stayed to negotiate, it is possible (even probable) you would have received a higher amount.

Looking back, you might have regrets. Unfortunately, too much time has passed and there does not seem to be legal options available for you to pursue.

I wish you better health and success in your new job. Good luck.

The advice is to forget trying to blame her solely for this situation. Move on. And that, regardless of how you'd like to claim she ruined your life, you must accept that it was a given they were going to use this threat, whether or not she'd called in on you or not, because they are sort of like the police, they don't always have to tell you the truth while they're threatening and "negotiating" with you, especially with a big settlement. You should be above reproach, because you can just assume you're going to be questioned and challenged (even if you've done everything they asked you to.) They're not just going to fork over six figures worth of compensation without really investigating you and your case whether fraud has been reported or not. You're not the only person who's ever been injured at work, and they are always going to threaten and question and make it sound hard to collect, especially the big settlements. And ultimately, you did cave as they hoped you would.
Wow you guys SUCK. So much inference

There are always investigations into any claim before a settlement. It is standard practice.

It sounds as if you made a decision on the settlement that was best for you at the time. You were offered a new job in a new state and having a speedy settlement was to your benefit. Had you stayed to negotiate, it is possible (even probable) you would have received a higher amount.

Looking back, you might have regrets. Unfortunately, too much time has passed and there does not seem to be legal options available for you to pursue.

Thank you. That is the sort of advice I was hoping for when I posted. I truly appreciate you taking your own time to give it... without the condescension of some others.

Thank you. That is the sort of advice I was hoping for when I posted. I truly appreciate you taking your own time to give it... without the condescension of some others.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Wow you guys SUCK. So much inference
That was uncalled for.

Commentator was stating how the system works, and what is expected of someone in that situation.

And you can't sue the ex-girlfriend. You don't have proof of what she said, and since you settled rather than fight, you have no idea what weight (if any) what she said would have been given if you didn't settle. That makes it difficult to quantify your losses.

Look at it this way: at least you didn't marry the vindictive *****.

quincy

That was uncalled for.

Commentator was stating how the system works, and what is expected of someone in that situation.

And you can't sue the ex-girlfriend. You don't have proof of what she said, and since you settled rather than fight, you have no idea what weight (if any) what she said would have been given if you didn't settle. That makes it difficult to quantify your losses.

Look at it this way: at least you didn't marry the vindictive *****.
A suit against the ex-girlfriend cannot be pursued because Pennsylvania has a one-year statute of limitations for defamation - and I cannot think of any other claim besides defamation that could apply.

Commentator's post was a good one so I am a bit puzzled by Sueyousueme's response to it. :unsure:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">