• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do about prosecution threats, need to make immediate updates?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Guardian452

What is the name of your state? Ohio

So we had our basement waterproofed. Along the way, they said we needed to add a dedicated outlet or some such thing. So we did. Along that way, the inspector told us that to add the outlets, we needed to update our entire electrical system. So we did. By this point we were looking at huge amounts of money. The guy who did the electrical work has taken almost a year to get the inspector back out. So now I’m receiving letters threatening me for expired permits. We finally got the inspector to come out, and he failed us for 5 new items. The electrical guy said that he’s getting the same letters too, and that he’s held responsible for them too. I don’t see how. Also, I don’t see how this guy can keep failing us for new things and expect the work done ASAP “or else.” It’s not minor work, either. He decided that we need to get rid of an entire wall in our finished home. Amazing that this wall has never failed inspection before. The latest letters say that we have a couple weeks and failure to make necessary repairs within time allotted will result in prosecution, including huge fines and jail time. The electrical guy says not to worry about it. Well I am very worried about it. I’m a teacher and my husband is an LPN. I’m getting a second job to work on the costs here, but I’m very worried about all of this.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Ohio

So we had our basement waterproofed. Along the way, they said we needed to add a dedicated outlet or some such thing. So we did. Along that way, the inspector told us that to add the outlets, we needed to update our entire electrical system. So we did. By this point we were looking at huge amounts of money. The guy who did the electrical work has taken almost a year to get the inspector back out. So now I’m receiving letters threatening me for expired permits. We finally got the inspector to come out, and he failed us for 5 new items. The electrical guy said that he’s getting the same letters too, and that he’s held responsible for them too. I don’t see how. Also, I don’t see how this guy can keep failing us for new things and expect the work done ASAP “or else.” It’s not minor work, either. He decided that we need to get rid of an entire wall in our finished home. Amazing that this wall has never failed inspection before. The latest letters say that we have a couple weeks and failure to make necessary repairs within time allotted will result in prosecution, including huge fines and jail time. The electrical guy says not to worry about it. Well I am very worried about it. I’m a teacher and my husband is an LPN. I’m getting a second job to work on the costs here, but I’m very worried about all of this.
I suggest you have another inspector out to examine the work that has been completed so far and have this inspector provide a written opinion of what work needs to be fixed/completed to bring your home up to code.

What sort of house is this? Is the house a new purchase?

quincy

I am puzzled by the threats of prosecution and jail time. More information would be helpful.

TigerD

It's an old scam. Make sure the inspector is the actual inspector as opposed to a friend of the electrician. The "inspector" fails you and then the electrician does additional work on your bill that never needed to be done.

TD

quincy

It's an old scam. Make sure the inspector is the actual inspector as opposed to a friend of the electrician. The "inspector" fails you and then the electrician does additional work on your bill that never needed to be done.

TD
Interesting. I haven't heard of that particular scam.

Who is the one doing the inspections, Guardian? The city? Code enforcement?

quincy

Hey, Guardian!

Please return to your thread! We could use some additional information here! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">