• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do about this neighor destroying our property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kyldy

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I have property in Kentucky that me and my two brothers inherited. We all live in other states. We are in the process of trying to get it sold. The neighbor to the property all of a sudden says that he owns part of our property, he has torn down the fence we had up and put up a fence to include it with his property. Today, while my cousin was there mowing the grass, the neighbor had some man drive up on our property and get the fence that he tore down. The fence was ours and I paid for that fence personally about thirty years ago. My problem is he is destroying our property. We are in the middle of having the property surveyed and it's supposed to be complete this week. What can we do with this neighbor until we can get the property sold? He has already made threats to burn the house down, and he told my cousin he is going to take a bulldozer and run it through the garage. This guy is killing me. I don't know what to do. I am so far away. :( What on earth can I do to stop this guy?

Just Blue

I have property in Kentucky that me and my two brothers inherited. We all live in other states. We are in the process of trying to get it sold. The neighbor to the property all of a sudden says that he owns part of our property, he has torn down the fence we had up and put up a fence to include it with his property. Today, while my cousin was there mowing the grass, the neighbor had some man drive up on our property and get the fence that he tore down. The fence was ours and I paid for that fence personally about thirty years ago. My problem is he is destroying our property. We are in the middle of having the property surveyed and it's supposed to be complete this week. What can we do with this neighbor until we can get the property sold? He has already made threats to burn the house down, and he told my cousin he is going to take a bulldozer and run it through the garage. This guy is killing me. I don't know what to do. I am so far away. :( What on earth can I do to stop this guy?
Have you made a complaint with the police?

LdiJ

Perhaps call the police? Perhaps hire an attorney?

TigerD

You are too emotionally involved. You need an attorney for the property dispute. Call the police regarding the threats. It is unlikely that you are going to be able to sell it until you resolve the neighbor/property line issue.

He's threatened to burn down your house and to drive a bulldozer through your garage.
What did you do that pissed off you neighbor so much?

adriana777

You need to call police and explain the situation. It would be better if you install cameras outside of your house. In this case you will be able to record all actions of destroying your property

justalayman

Regarding the fence you installed 30 years ago.

Since it appears you don’t have a survey to prove whether the fence was on your property or the neighbors property, there is little you can do about it at the moment. The police aren’t likely to get involved if the neighbor claims the fence was on his property hence the statement about it being a civil matter.

when you get your survey, if the fence was on your property you can sue in civil court for your damages. You can also amend your complaint with the police with your proof the neighbor illegally removed your fence.

If the fence was on the neighboring property, you can either accept he removed a fence encroaching onto his property or you can consider suing to claim title to the property involved under a claim of adverse possession; or you could claim use of the property involved based on a prescriptive easement claim.

Given you are attempting to sell the land I would suggest forgoing either claim. They can be very costly and time consuming and nobody will purchase the land if there is an ongoing legal action involved.

Just Blue

How many times has your neighbor threatened to burn down you house for no apparent reason?
When I was a kid my neighbor threatened to burn down our house. He was psycho. He and his cousin assaulted my brother and his fiancé one night...for no reason. He poisoned my cat and dumped her body in our yard. When they moved (lost the house) they left their cat locked in the house to starve to death...My twin brother and I saw the cat in the window meowing...poor thing was skin and bones. We broke the window so he could get out. Both of these guys and their families were gutter trash. So yeah...sometimes people just suck.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How many times has your neighbor threatened to burn down your house for no apparent reason?
My uncle's home burned down as a result of arson. The neighbor's boyfriend poured gasoline under the window to the bedroom of the 3 boys (as in children) due to some perceived slight by the youngest child. There was no warning. The arson was eventually (months) turned over by his girlfriend after he set fire to her mother's house.

My aunt's next door neighbor's garage was blown up by their grandchild's ex.

Arson is not a rational thing to threaten. Were I OP, I would have been tempted to take this to police and seek out a restraining order. At the very least, I would want a police report on file, in case the neighbor seeks to follow through such a threat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">