• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do against Hit and Run but both insurance company will not cover anything?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eos123

CALIFORNIA

A driver hit my parked car and ran. There was a witness and the witness saw the license plate.

I called my insurance company and filed a claim, since I don't have a collision insurance, they will not get involved but they gave me the other driver's name, insurance, policy number by running the license plate so I can file claim with the other driver's insurance. I also filed a police report.

I called the other insurance company and filed a claim. I believe the other driver admitted the fault but they said after their own investigation, they will not cover the other driver because the other driver was on a business trip and they have policy against it.

What I can I do? I don't have the other driver's contact information like phone number or address. Just name, insurance and policy number.

I just want my car to get fixed and nothing else. I know it's against the law here in CA to hit and run and there could be consequences for the other driver but I don't wanna go there.

Not sure if I can seek a legal help? File a small claims court? I'm not even sure how to contact the other driver so I can just speak with him directly and resolve it before going to court or something.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will need to sue the bad guy in small claims court. At this point, I'd work with the police to get the information for the other driver. It's also possible to work with the DMV to get the address of the other driver for the purposes of suing him.

adjusterjack

there could be consequences for the other driver but I don't wanna go there.
You might not have a choice.

You have to find him to sue him and the way to find him is likely to be by cooperating with the police in his prosecution for hit and run.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You might not have a choice.

You have to find him to sue him and the way to find him is likely to be by cooperating with the police in his prosecution for hit and run.
Indeed, if the guy is convicted in the hit and run it is possible that the court might require restitution to eos123 as part of the sentencing. That may avoid the need to sue the at fault driver. But as you say, he/she may need to cooperate with the police and prosecutor to get it.

I had that happen when I was hit by a hit and run driver some years ago. (Thankfully a witness saw the accident and got the plate number or he’d have gotten away.) My insurance in that case paid for my damages above my deductible, and the court in the criminal case against the other driver ordered the hit and run driver to pay my deductible to me. My insurance company was left with the option to sue that driver to collect what it paid me, but it decided against that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">